- A Mills & Boon book is sold in the UK every 3 seconds. (Ed's note: Yikes!!!)
- 10 million books are sold each year in the UK, of which over 7 million are romance novels.
(Ed's note: so over 70%, nearly three-quarters, of all books sold in the UK are romances!)
- Harlequin Mills & Boon is a UK Top 10 adult fiction publisher.
- UK monthly readership over 1.3 million.
- Approx 70 titles published every month in the UK including more than 50 brand-new series titles.
- Gerald Mills and Charles Boon founded Mills & Boon Limited in 1908 and opened offices in London's Covent Garden. Since then, Mills & Boon has become a hallmark for romantic fiction, recognised around the world.
- Mills & Boon is now part of Harlequin Enterprises, a global company who sell over 130 million books worldwide each year.
- Published in 26 different languages and sold in 109 countries
- Global author base of 1,300, of which approx 200 are acquired through the UK office.
- Mills & Boon series books are released in 2 shipping cycles each month (the first and third Friday of the month) and have a one month shelf life
- In the past 50 years, our characters have had: 10,325 weddings, 29,500 kisses and 35,250 hugs (figs from UK Editorial-Acquisition).
- "Mills & Boon" is in the Oxford English Dictionary meaning "a (type of) popular romantic novel".
Source: Mills & Boon
During the Second World War, when paper was rationed, the Ministry of Supply made an exception for Mills & Boon, because their books were considered so important for the morale of women.Source: Daily Mail - Femail
In 2005, studies found women who often read romance novels are less likely to divorce, and John Boon, of Mills & Boon, once said of his company: ‘We ought to be prescribed by the NHS. We’re better than Valium.
In my next post about Mills & Boon, I'll be telling you more about the different series and genres available, so come back soon or click below and take a look for yourself if you can't wait...